soundscape of Paris, as codified during times of war, revolution, protest, and
peace, is the subject of inquiry for this study abroad course. The main goal of
the course is to perceive through sound, and by extension music, the political,
philosophical, economic, and artistic realities in France through the centuries
and how such forces continue to manifest themselves today. At the end of the
course, the student will have been introduced to:
- the politics of France and how they have shaped French cultural identity.
- a variety of the world’s musical traditions.
- major musical concepts and elements.
- the skills of listening to music critically, and identifying its elements, styles and regions of origin.
- music as a cultural phenomenon with diverse roles specific to context, including its connection to customs, rituals, and belief systems.
- Teacher: Pottinger Mark