- Provide an overview of: the origin and age of the Earth, its major processes, common minerals and rock types and their engineering properties; and development of geologic structures and landscapes as it pertain to engineering, construction and economic geology.
- Two meeting times per week will generally include one lecture and one laboratory.
- Course includes three exams and one term paper.
- A working knowledge of the basic concepts and terminologies in Earth Science.
- The ability to distinguish rocks of the three principle types (sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic) and have a basic knowledge of the geologic conditions that resulted in their formation.
- Knowledge of the application of geological principals to engineering projects.
- Learn to ask not just “can we build it,” but “should we build it and how.”
- Teacher: Diggins John