- Provide an overview of the origin and age of the Earth, its major processes, common minerals and rock types and their engineering properties. Development of geologic structures and landscapes as it pertain to engineering, construction and economic geology.
- Two meeting times per week will generally include one lecture and one laboratory.
- Course includes one term paper.
- 1. A working knowledge of the basic concepts and terminologies in Earth Science.
- 2. The ability to distinguish rocks of the three principle types (sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic) and have a basic knowledge of the geologic conditions that resulted in their formation.
- 3. Knowledge of the application of geological principals to engineering projects.
- 4. Learn to ask not just “can we build it,” but “should we build it.”
- Teacher: Diggins John